Withholding tax on income from US sources

If you are not a US person and you receive certain types of income from US sources—such as dividends, royalties or annuities—you’re generally required to complete Form W-8BEN to benefit from the reduced rates of withholding tax under the Canada-US treaty. If this form is not remitted to the payer of the income, the payer is required to withhold up to 30% on any reportable distributions. Certain types of US source interest income also require completion of the Form to avoid withholding at 30%.